Saturday, May 29, 2010

BRAINS!!! MUST EAT BRAINS!!!

As long as I can remember, my mom would get all worked up whenever "brain sandwiches" came up.  I've always been disgusted with the idea.  All I could picture was a white gooey mess squishing out from between a hamburger bun as someone bit into one messy and nasty sandwich.  But to mom, this appeared to be the equivalent of caviar.  She grew up in Evansville, IN where, as I understand it, there are a lot of German folks.  Apparently Deutschlanders are crazy for the brain.

So with all this in mind, I set out for the Hilltop Inn in west Evansville to join my folks, my aunt Sharlot, uncle David and some distant Walton cousins I haven't seen in many years.  The goal - a meal of gray matter.

You know, I've noticed that people rarely tell you what sound a meat made before it was sliced up and put on your plate.  Did it moo?  Did it whinny?  Did it snort (I think that's what pigs do)?   No, they just say "have some ribs!" or even worse just "It's Bar-B-Que!!".  It makes me think of what Jack, John and I experienced way back in 1991 during our Europe adventure - at a street fair somewhere in Belgium, we saw some yummy meat cooking and, when we asked what it was, the nice lady said in her broken English "theees eeez flesh of a pig and theees eeeez flesh of a cow".  No such luck at the Hilltop Inn - the menu just said "Jumbo Brain Sandwich".  So I ordered one.

The verdict - hell, anything fried doesn't suck too much.  But I gotta be honest, that will probably be my last brain sandwich.  I could feel my gag reflex kicking in while I was swilling that grey matter around in my mouth.  Everyone else around me was oohing and ahhing about the fine vittles so I did my best to keep it together and focus my grubbing efforts on my side items.



By the way, it turns out the brain I ate came from a pig.  It, no doubt, compelled it to eat and root in shit.  And I bet he wasn't very charming, definitely not as charming as that Arnold on "Green Acres".  Whodathunked filthy animals had such big brains!

No comments:

Post a Comment